Deities Du Jour: Saturday (26)

 I wasn't sure I was going to make it through my daily devotional work!  So every day, I single out a different "class" of deities to honor. I'm a bit Jungian in my approach. People everywhere face similar challenges, and thus "deify" things that are important to help them meet those challenges. To me, though, this is not the same as a soft polytheism ("All storm gods are one storm god") in that I think they are different spirits. But we all need to worry about health, crops, warfare, death, and other things so we would all have spirits reflecting the other cultural contexts of wherever we are.

Even though my own personal focus is Celtic and Anglo-Saxon, my community honors more than that, and as I sometimes do oracular work, I thought it important to at least have introduced myself in the event that I needed to contact someone from another pantheon.

I chose which spirits based upon the names of the days of the week, which are very similar in both Romance and Germanic languages.  There's a couple of differences though, especially on weekends.  Of course I am starting on the hard part. 

In keeping with the Saturday theme of house and yardwork, I am honoring agricultural deities, which is easier said than done as far as narrowing them down!

Photo by Nadi Lindsay from Pexels

Producers

You who provide the food for our survival

Gods of frith and fellowship, peace and prosperity

Eochaid Bres, who taught the ways of agriculture

Sucellos, the Good Striker, with your cask of barley-ale

Fro Ing, Wooer of Gerdr, Bringer of the Grains

Dionysus and Bacchus, lords of the vine

Producers all, I give thanks for the night

And ask your blessings, protection, and wisdom for the day.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leo to Virgo Moon stuff

"I don't believe in Mercury Retrograde"

New Moon in Virgo, heading toward Balance (Libra)