Strawberry Season! (Now edited to have the CORRECT Anglo-Saxon month name!!)

White bowl of red strawberries on a brown wood table
Photo by Pixabay: https://www.pexels.com/photo/white-bowl-of-whole-strawberries-89778/

(I know what you're saying... where's the Beltaine post? Well, it's not exactly late, but it's not up yet for Reasons....you'll see).

The wheel keeps turning and finally in our area we are DONE with frost!  It is well and truly heading toward midsummer.

The names of these months all reflect this late spring/early summer activities. Most notably, the Almanac has named this Strawberry Moon, and in this climate strawberries should just be beginning to pop out.  I know my rhubarb plant has, and it's looking and waiting for its partners in pie!

The Anglo-Saxons called it "Ærra Liða" or "Before Litha" (summer solstice).  I suppose there's not a lot of deep meaning you can get from this, except as just an appreciation for it being warmer, which I certainly share.

The Gauls give us Giamonios, "end of winter" month. Around here, this is about the time that we REALLY begin to feel like we can put the winter coats away. I finally took the electric blanket off the bed.

Lastly, Kondtratiev assigns this as "The Moon of the Flowers." The line in the poem is "I am a beautiful flower" and it is for him the time to meditate on the divine energies expressing themselves as all manner of flowers and greenery explode. I swear, sometimes I think we should be able to hear it, right?

So for this month, get yourself a bowl of strawberrie (maybe share some with your land spirits!), sustainably pick a bouquet of spring flowers or better yet, plant some!  And enjoy the weather!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leo to Virgo Moon stuff

"I don't believe in Mercury Retrograde"

New Moon in Virgo, heading toward Balance (Libra)