Random Musings on a Pagan Lent

I know...I know...

Pagans are not about austerities or otherwise about giving things up to honor a particular deity or things like that.

But...hear me out.

In Irish mythology, we have the concept of geas which is often a taboo or other personal "rule" (for want of a better word) that a person cannot break without suffering dire spiritual or even physical consequences.  For example, Cuchulain cannot eat dog meat due to his association with dog as what we could argue is his totem animal.  His geas is forever, though.  "Lenten austerities" only last for 40 days (although it's really more like 46. The Sundays somehow don't count, if I remember correctly).

The other thing is that even among Christians the idea of Lent is misunderstood.  Lent is not supposed to be a time of giving up something as a display of one's awesome willpower.  One should give up something meaningful, but for the purpose of improving oneself and one's relationship with God.  One doesn't even have to give something up. One could vow to add something to one's life to serve those purposes too.

Timing becomes a problem. It makes little sense to follow the Christian liturgical calendar, although one could start on Ash Wednesday and end on Spring Equinox.  However, the way Easter varies year to year, one may end up with a shorter period than is commonly expected.  This year, it's about 25 days between Ash Wednesday and the equinox.

One could though start at Imbolc and go to the equinox.  That would be about 6 weeks, or 42 days, closer to the length of time between Ash Wednesday and Easter.               

I have off and on, over the years, done "something," whether it's give up or add to, or both.  My earlier life in Christianity didn't have this, so it's not something that is a hold over for me.  The idea of doing something for the purpose of enhancing one spiritually has always been appealing to me.

SO... I will be starting this year tomorrow on Ash Wednesday.  I am starting later because to be honest, I've felt in a spiritual drought since mid January, and basically skipped the entire Imbolc season. I didn't go to any group rites, didn't do anything at home... not a great thing for a person who considers herself a Bridgid devotee.  I need to get my spirit right. Not because the gods demand it, but because I do. I am more centered and calm when I have my spiritual house in order.

My goal then is to do specific things that will address that:


  • Daily devotionals every day. Preferably in the morning, but if not, then at another point during the day.
  • Evening rites as needed. I have my own liturgical calendar in my head, and it includes moon rites at the four phases, flame tending for Bridgid and other devotionals to other deities, my house spirits, and my ancestors.
  • Morning yoga and meditation.
  • Exercise
We'll see if it works.  I'm not going to call it a geas since the folkore seems to indicate that is something given to one, and this is just me talking.


Oh....I'll probably give up the Starbucks too....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leo to Virgo Moon stuff

"I don't believe in Mercury Retrograde"

New Moon in Virgo, heading toward Balance (Libra)