Samhain 2015 and a Word with the Lord of the Dead

It has been a while.  We had a death in the family.  And I could not regain my equilibrium to be able to do my spiritual work.  That is, of course, the time one most needs it...however that is also easy to say and believe when you are not living it.

So this evening, after the grove rite, after my spouse had gone to bed, I decided to do some work.  I actually decided after the latest death of a family member of a friend.  This year, 2015, has been particularly hard in this realm.  People I know have lost loved ones.  WE lost a loved one.  I had decided I was quite done with all this loss and was going to give the Lord of the Dead a piece of my mind.

I drummed myself to the Underworld, this time trying to be purposeful and methodical as I went through the steps.  (I tend to jump from place to place, or "bamph" as one friend called it.  I always feel I should slow down though.)  I got to the bridge, crossed, found the gate open as I went through.  I was in the room that was mine for seeing.  I had never been there before, but imagined what it looked like in my mind.  There's a low fire, and a deep pond before the seat.  I did not take the seat, but I did see Donn, the Lord of the Dead who knew I was coming and why.  (He also seemed to be amused, that I would come to HIS land to make the demands I was about to make.)

"You brought no offerings."

No, I did not.  I did not feel the need to bring offerings to one who had taken so much already.

"What brings you here then?"

I felt he already knew. But I told him anyway.  I told him he needed to just stop.

"You know that is not possible."

I knew ... but still he could slow down, turn his attention elsewhere. Maybe some of those war mongers and war profiteers had been on the planet a bit too long, just as a suggestion.

"It is not possible because that is not my role.  I rule here, but I do not call people here. Nature does that.  I simply hold the place for the souls when they come to rest, and keep them from suffering."

Could they may be not suffer so much to begin with?  I was seeking compromise.

"Death is nature.  You yourself say natures is neither good nor bad.  It simply is.  It is the same with Death.  And life. Every tear shed in grief is a drop of water that flows back to the earth, and down to the waters and finds its way here.  I absorb as much as I can to keep the suffering of the living from affecting the suffering of the dead."

It had not occurred to me.  He reached to embrace me.  I let him.

"Child of Earth...I feel your grief and the grief of those around you.  It is also part of Nature, and I cannot change Nature.  I can only keep the souls of the Dead safe until they move on.  I can only assure you of that.  Your grief will fade, and all will be at peace."

There was more ... but it is fading even now.  He gave me a gift to help one with pain and loss.

"It will not take his grief away, as that too is part of nature.  But it will bring peace."

I nodded, and I produced a bag of coins ... I had an offering after all.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

In this season of remembering the ancestors, we recognize our loss as much as we recognize the natural order of things, and the journey beyond.  May we be at peace with it all, and may we remember as we go through the dark of the year.  Blessed Samhain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leo to Virgo Moon stuff

"I don't believe in Mercury Retrograde"

New Moon in Virgo, heading toward Balance (Libra)